Tuesday, October 1, 2013

There needs to be a warning sign when sending a text message!

I have officially decided that when texting someone there should be a warning that pops up that says "Do you really want to send this" Then when you automatically hit yes without thinking (because I know I'll do this) another pop up says "You realize you're sending this to the wrong person and you'll embarrass yourself for the rest of your life and you'll never be able to look this person in the eye ever again. Do you still want me to send this?" Same thing should be done with emails.

I say this because this has happened all to often in my life. I don't even have an Iphone, I have the most basic down to earth only texting and calling phone. You know those phones. The ones that have theft protection because you're not afraid to huck it at the bad guy cause you know you're phone wont break.

Just this week I was texting my friend because I was going to break a social norm for a psychology class and go to a mall in Utah County, (I could have done anywhere but I didn't feel like driving too far) dress as a pregnant woman and ask people to light my cigarette (of course if they say yes I'd tell them no, because I don't smoke and mostly do you know how freaking expensive cigarettes are?!!! Holy crap I'd have to take out a loan to just get a carton of those things! So I am not about to actually light that sucker, I'd put the thing on display just to say "at one time I could afford one of these.") But off to the side I'd have a beer bottle (well it was actually a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag to give the illusion it was beer) and I'd have my little girl next to me in her stroller. I thought this was a great project and I would get a good reaction out of the people next to me. So I was rushing out the door while texting my friend and I sent this text:

"Sounds great! You get the cigarettes and I'll grab the beer. Which day will work better for you? Saturday or Sunday? I don't want to do it today cause it's raining and cold :)"

Well previously I had texted my therapist earlier that day and apparently my thumb decided that while I wasn't paying much attention to my texting it would slide one conversation over and send this particular text to my therapist. Yeah. I know. I didn't even realize that I had sent it to him until an hour later when I realized that my friend hadn't texted back and I checked my phone to make certain that my message went through. Imagine my surprise while I'm looking through my sent messages to her and I cannot find it. I knew I typed it up and sent it. So just for funsies I looked at the next person over and then I saw it. So I thought "Well at least I'm not crazy and I knew I sent it." But then I saw who I sent it to and my first thought was "Oh great! The dude already knows I'm a nut case now he's gonna think I'm an alcoholic smoker too! Seriously! Out of all the people in my contact list, I sent this one to my therapist?!" Then my second thought was "Thank heavens it was only about beer and cigarettes it could have been so much worse!" (you all know what I mean when I say "worse" it could have said "Oh my gosh the people sitting next to me are arguing so loudly I want to scream "Shut up!" but then Chris said there's nobody sitting next to me!" Dun dun dun! Back to the loony bin I go! ;))

Oh FYI I never did do that project because someone, not saying who, **Cough cough Chris!* objected to it so you can blame this someone for not having that awesome story posted on here. (wow I never knew I could cyber cough like that and have the random name Chris accidentally pop out of my cyber mouth!:) )

Now that was just my recent one. There have been so many other ones where it went to the wrong person. Let me tell ya sending "Hey there sexy" to your dad can be pretty traumatizing when he goes along with it to mess with your mind because he knows it was meant for your husband. So I really need to have a message that pops up that says "Hey, you're doing something stupid because you're not paying attention. How can you be texting and not be paying attention?! I'm not even a smart phone and I'm smarter than you! Seriously, how did you get the position of being human and I got stuck being an electronic phone that secretly controls your life?"


No comments:

Post a Comment