Sunday, December 3, 2017

My Costco Adventure

Since it's 1:30 AM and I'm wide awake, I might as well tell you about my day. Don't you love having an insomniatic friend? ;)
We were given a box of Costco sized diapers and my 4 month old decided to out grow them in the week we got them. All week I've been meaning to return them to get a bigger size, but I never had the time. Well today I got the time. The time was Saturday at 2 PM. 

Now I am not a member of Costco so it takes me a while to find the customer service to exchange my item. I find out that their customer service is practically outside. The cashiers are inside, but the desk is so close to the door that the customer line is outside. I see that there are a few people in line and I decide to wait in it with my 4 month old daughter who was in her car seat. So I wait. And I wait. And I wait. 
20 minutes pass by. The line moves one person. 30 minutes pass by. The line moves another person. Finally a lady comes out with a scanner, and starts scanning everyone's membership cards. I see her happily coming, and she is one of those happy fake high pitched women who has a comment about everything. 
Way too happy to be a Costco worker
She is literally commenting about everything every one says. And then she gets to me. She asks me for my membership card and I say "I'm not a member, these were given as a gift and I just need to exchange them for a bigger size." Then she gave me one of those disapproving looks. You know those looks where you're 28 years old but you wish you had your mommy there to hold your hand looks?
The disapproving glare that can freeze your soul
She was no longer happy-go-lucky woman. Her body became tense and then when she spoke her voice went down three octaves lower when she said "You will be given a Costco Cash card for the price it is." and then left. Oh nuh-uh! 
I wish I could say that I did something awesome like I tied her shoes together when she wasn't looking, but I acted "grown up" and let it go. But unfortunately, I didn't know what a Costco Cash card was and had to call her back and ask "What does that mean?"  Then acting a little annoyed she explained that I would get store credit on a Costco Cash card to go exchange the diapers. After dealing with "Pretentious Members Only Lady" and waiting in line for over 40 minutes my frustration and anxiety levels were beginning to raise. 
 So I get my Not a Member Costco Cash card and enter the store with my 4 month old still in her car seat. Apparently I entered the wrong way. Instead of heading straight into the store from customer service, I was supposed to go back outside and re-enter the store through the entrance way. I did not know this was a thing. So I'm carrying my 15 pound baby in a 100 pound carseat trying to figure a way to get through the cash registers to get to the actual part of the store. Normal stores have a chain or wire thing that you can just step over or go under. Not Costco. Costco uses carts that are pushed together so you cannot move them or go over them. To top it off Costco uses the SUV of carts so you can fit all your bulk items. 
In what other cart can you fit TWO kids in the top seat?!!
So there is no way I'm getting through. Rather than having a rational mind and going outside and entering again, I look to see if there is a break in the carts or register lines. I walk to the OTHER side of the store with my now 500 pound baby and her 2000 pound car seat and FINALLY find a little crack in between a cart and a register. So I go for it. I literally had to pull some Hulk move and lift the carseat over my head, turn sideways, and think really skinny to fit through this crack. 
I kind of regretted eating that half batch of cinnamon rolls at 3 in the morning at this moment.
Finally I'm in. Now remember how I said I went on a Saturday at 2 pm? Have you ever been to a Costco on a Saturday at 2 pm?! It was worse than going Black Friday shopping with everything marked down to a dollar! 

This is Costco at 2 pm on a Saturday
There are thousands of people with their SUV carts EVERYWHERE! It's as though everything is all chaos, but everyone understands the chaos, except for me. I put my 5000 pound baby in one of the SUV carts and literally run into every person, cart, kid, and dog there.

Then to top it off, I have to figure out where the heck the diapers are at. At this point my frustrated levels are so high that I'm just plain angry.  I am to the point where I start talking to myself and I am muttering all the cuss words I know under my breath. 
As I am walking I find out that Costco, when packed with thousands of people and not knowing where I am going, is the maze from Hell. After several minutes of searching for the diapers and going up and down countless aisles unable to find a Costco employee, I am just pissed. I am to the point where I am talking and cussing out loud and I don't care who hears me. 

Everything is getting to me. The noise, the crowd, being lost, not being a Costco Member, etc. Finally, I turn down an empty aisle. As I look down the aisle I see at the very end a box with a happy baby on it. There is hope. As I continue down this aisle I see that the baby is happy because it has a diaper on it's bum. My heart is beating faster! Could it be?! Did I FINALLY find them?! I get closer and YES!!! I FINALLY I FOUND THE DIAPERS!!!!!!

I am so elated!! No emotion can compare to the joy I am currently experiencing!!! Then it happened. As I am getting closer I notice the sizes of the diapers and....the prices. That is when I noticed the MAJOR price difference of the diapers that I had exchanged, and the diapers that I needed to get. 
Now I'm not proud of this moment, but it hit me like a bomb. I was Pissed with a capital "P" and out loud and without thinking I began to say the worst word I knew. As I was in the middle of my rather loud and elongated "FUUUUUU" my neighbors rounded the corner and said "Hi Megan! How are you?!"

All I could say was "Not good. I'm shopping at Costco on a Saturday." (or something like that, I was so embarrassed I don't really remember what I said) and left.


So....Yeah....I should probably pay more attention to what I say out loud in the heat of the moment....haha (nervous laugh)...whoops ;) ....Yes dad, I'll go wash my mouth out with soap (rolling eyes while eating bar of soap).

No comments:

Post a Comment