Sunday, August 25, 2013

My OCD Moments

I have OCD tendencies and cleaning is one of them. I mean I literally comb my carpets with a pick and comb up whatever the vacuum didn't get, then re-vacuum and re-comb, and then I clean down to the P traps under the sinks with a toothbrush. This is my kind of OCD, and if you bother me during this episode I will bite off your head and there is a possibility that I might kill you if you try to make contact with me, just ask Chris. 

So here is my dilemma, I have a two year old. Have you ever had OCD and live with a two year old? Yeah it doesn't work.  I love my child, but when I'm going through a cleaning OCD moment she becomes my worst nightmare. I can clean until my fingers bleed, but the second I leave that spot, and Kiara comes waltzing in, it looks like I never even touched it.  You can imagine how upsetting this can be. I don't ground her or get upset I just suck it up and re-clean from the beginning, I mean she's two she doesn't understand and mistakes happen. She spills milk on my hand washed floor I start all over again and clean the whole floor, again. I have to admit it's a good thing she's cute because ugly babies wouldn't get away with this. I'm just sayin'. 

Now that I have told you how I respond to my two year old, let me tell you how I respond to my husband. He is lucky to still be alive.  I love him dearly, but while I'm on this mood, if he is in the same room as me and I can hear him breathing I snap and become an evil black fire barring monster.
Scary huh? This is literally me, no exaggeration
Let me tell you a story:

I had a bad day, and I felt my OCD phase coming. It was about 4 PM. I start cleaning the kitchen, I clean every crevasse I could find, I scrubbed the floor with a toothbrush, I took that toothbrush to my baseboards, I cleaned the P traps under the sink, I even cleaned the garbage can. I cleaned the living room down to the baseboards, I vacuumed twice after I combed the floors, I vacuumed the vacuum, I cleaned under the couches that don't have legs on them so really it's impossible for them to get anything under them, but I did it. It became 9:30 PM, I was still cleaning. I was finally able to calm down enough to go for a run.  The run was amazing. Having that cold air rush against my face and the exhilaration of the run and the energy flowing through me was a breath taking feeling (literally breath taking, I forgot my inhaler so I was wheezing the whole way).  But after my run I was feeling better. I still had the feeling and the urge to clean but it wasn't over powering.  After a 30 minute run I stop and walk for a bit. I'm about 3 minutes from home when my husband calls me and this is our conversation:
Chris: Hon, how far are you from home?
Me: I'll be there in about 3 minutes
Chris: Oh...I sort of made a mess
Me: What do you mean sort of? (I feel some anxiety boiling inside me)
Chris: Can you stay outside for a while?
Me: Why? (boiling anxiety getting a little bigger)
Chris: Because I need to put this back together.
Me:  Put what back together?
Chris: The entertainment center...
Me: WHY DID YOU TEAR APART THE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER????
Chris: I wanted to get our internet connection to go faster.
Me: So you tore apart our entire entertainment center?
Chris: Yeah...
Me: *thinking* I am going to kill you, I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you.
Chris: Don't worry it wont take long to put it back together, I can do it, just stay outside for a moment.

I stay outside, but I could only stay outside for so long because I just had to see what he did. This is what I find and mind you, it took me 5 and a half hours to clean this and it took him 30 minutes to do this:

I texted my therapist and said "You just might become my divorce counselor"
Unfortunately, you can't see all of the books and drawers that are on the couches and against the walls.
Apparently, Chris found out that our internet speed went up from 15 to 50 megabytes and we were only getting 30, so he decided to reset it.  Well, he ended up dropping the cord behind the entertainment center that is mounted to our wall. He thought that he had to move the entertainment center from the wall to get the cord. He realized it was too heavy for him to move so he emptied out all of the drawers and books and such things to see if he could move it, but nothing worked. After he finished telling me this story I told him "Babe all you needed to do was take down the TV and grab the cord out of that HUGE hole that the TV is covering up." Then he says "See I knew if you were here you'd know what to do!!" I say "Then why didn't you wait?!" He said "Because I wanted the internet to go faster now."

I really I do love him. I actually couldn't help but laugh when I saw the scene. I think that I was more in shock than anything, and a little delirious from my breath taking run. ;)

And I thought the two year old was bad ;) :)

2 comments:

  1. Do you really have your Christmas tree up in August?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You bet I do!!! I was really tempted to take it down in January (when I say "really" I mean the thought half way ran across my mind when I suddenly saw something shiny and I forgot the tree was there until March). Then in March, when I remembered the tree was there, it became my life goal not to take it down for a year :) I would have taken down the tree if it didn't have all of those ornaments on them because those ornaments are just way too much work to take down. So I added it to my Life goals :) This goal sort of killed Chris's soul in the beginning but now that it's August he agrees that we shouldn't take the tree down :D
      Wow that is a way long reply to say "Heck yes I do and I Love it!!!" :D

      Delete